Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Bring your children closer to nature in this era of computer games and DVD's


There is widespread concern among horticulturists that in 20 or 30 years, very few people in The UK will know how to garden. Part of the problem lies in the intoxicating qualities of media-based entertainment. Young people are rarely outside unless they're participating in structured games or sports. If they do walk in the woods, they are apt to be talking on a mobile phone or listening to music instead of bird songs.

Another barrier is parental concerns about getting dirty. I was blessed to be young when kids climbed trees, made mud pies and played with conkers and fallen bird feathers. One of my favorite pastimes was to run through woods and find things that looked interesting. I just loved the thrill of discovering something new, building camps and dens or playing in fields with my friends.

My parents always encouraged me to be outdoors. I was lucky, I had so many friends in my local village. We spent endless hours playing football and variations of hide and seek. My parents (as far back as I can remember) have always loved gardening and have tried to include me in every aspect of what they got up to outside the back door. As a child I remember planting various types of seeds and watching them grow into beautiful flowers and plants. It didn't take much effort to nurture them, a bit of water here and there was all it took. The thrill of watching something in your control grow into something so beautiful is a very special feeling and one that has stuck with me forever.

Now I encourage all parents to get their children involved in the garden. It can be as simple as a watering can or a bucket and spade. The trill that children get from getting their hands dirty can be used to bring them closer to nature. They can not only benefit from hours of exercise and fresh air, but gain knowledge about a fundamental part of our way of life.

No comments: